Welcome to Maoist Orange Cake. Each week one of our Divas posts a thoughtful (but not necessarily serious) essay on whatever calls forth her Voice or strikes her Fancy. We invite you to join us wherever the discussion leads.
Motto of the MOC: Sincere, yes. Serious? Never!

"I would also like to add that ‘Maoist Orange Cake is possibly the best name for a blog ever. Just my twopence." -- The Sixth Carnival of Radical Feminists, 1 October 2007


The Twelfth Carnival of Radical Feminists is up at The Burning Times blog and mentions one of our posts, Helen 'Wheels' Keller, for recommendation. Orangeists spreading our zest!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Meeting in Ballard


Over at our birth-blog, Dykes to Watch Out For, the subject of a meeting of bloggers in the Seattle area has come up. A number of us live in the neighborhood of Ballard (home of the largest Norwegian Constitution Day parade this side of Bergen), so we have decided to meet in the restaurant at the historic Sunset Bowl at 1420 NW Market Street. The bowling alley, which has been around at least as long as I have, is closing for good in April, leaving Seattle with a total of five bowling alleys within the city limits. It will be demolished and replaced by— Well, if you know anything about the recent history of Ballard, it won’t be hard for you to guess. It’s a five-letter word that begins with a “c” and ends with an “o”. We will thrash out the details here among us Orangeists and Bechdel fans; if you can make it, you’re invited. All we really need to decide is the date and time. Considering the impending doom of the Bowl, it had better be the first week in April. I am not available on Saturday, April 5—Legislative District caucuses!

9 comments:

shadocat said...

Damn! I'm so jealous----I wish I could go!

Jana C.H. said...

Friday the 4th is out for Geogeek, so we are now restricted to Monday through Thursday. Does anyone else have days on which she absolutely cannot come?

JcH

Jordan said...

I'm so hoping I can meet y'all, but weeknights are tough, as I teach and have to get up at 5:00 am. But if it's fairly early, I'll definitely try!

oh, and if any of you Ballardites are into music (made my real live middle-aged lesbians, no less), I'm sharing the bill with Eileen Cuba at Egan's Jam House (Market and 17th) on April 5th. I do acoustic rhythm and soul, and Eileen writes some amazing rhythmic guitar parts with smart, beautiful poetry for lyrics. If you come, please identify yourself so I can say hi!

Anonymous said...

oh dear, I just realized I posted under my son's account; hence the name "jordan".

whoops.

I'm actually "Anon et al" from the DTWF forum and don't have a blog of my own...

real name is caryn k!

Jana C.H. said...

I checked my calendar and discovered my ticket for Intiman in on Tuesday, but I can exchange it if I have more than 24 hours notice.

Are there any objections to Wednesday, April 2, the Sunset Bowl, at 6:30? My original thought was for 7:00, but we don't want to deprive Anon Et Al of that extra half hour of sleep.

I don't know when in April the Sunset Bowl will close. If anyone can get that info, we can possibly move it to a later date.

Jana

Jana C.H. said...

Are we having a get-together Wednesday or not? If I get one "yes" response from anyone, I'll be there.

RSVP!

Jana

P.S. Jordan, what time will you be at the Jam House on Saturday? Look for me in a silly hat.

Anonymous said...

I will try to make it on Wednesday - but can't commit til that afternoon, so please don't change the time on my account, though it's awfully kind of you!

- caryn, who posted under Jordan's name by accident. oh, and since you asked, Jana, I'll be at Egan's from 9:00-10:30 and will look for your funny hat. :)

Jana C.H. said...

I'll be at the Sunset Bowl at 6:30 tomorrow, and will stay until 7:30 to see if anyone shows. Look for a beet-hat.

JcH

Jana C.H. said...

Last minute note: If you're coming to the meeting and own a digital camera, bring it. We can post a picture of ourselves here on the MOC.

Jana